We are a home for the environmental movement. The David Brower Center provides a home for the environmental movement by advocating for the beauty, diversity and ecological integrity of Earth. The Browe Read more [...]
The Center for Ecoliteracy promotes ecological education.
We recognize that students need to experience and understand how nature sustains life and how to live accordingly. We encourage schools to teach and model sustainable practices.
The Center for Ecoliteracy offers books; teaching guides; professional development seminars; a sustainability leadership academy; keynote presentations; and consulting services. Among its books for educators, parents, and others interested in sustainability are:
* Ecoliterate: How Educators Are Cultivating Emotional, Social, and Ecological Intelligence,” cowritten by Daniel Goleman (August 2012)
* Cooking with California Food in K-12 Schools
* Smart by Nature: Schooling for Sustainability (foreword by Daniel Goleman);
* Ecological Literacy: Educating Our Children for a Sustainable World (foreword by David W. Orr);
* Big Ideas: Linking Food, Culture, Health, and the Environment (foreword by Michael Pollan).
The Center for Ecoliteracy’s website offers hundreds of downloadable resource materials, including practical guides, essays by leading writers and experts, and inspiring stories of school communities and organizations across the country that are engaged in this vital work.