About Phat Beets Produce is a food justice collective. The collective was started in North Oakland in 2007 as a guerrilla produce stand in a North Oakland park. We now support two certified, clinic-bas Read more [...]
What if one of the largest community centers and venue spaces in the Bay Area was run in a spirit of radical generosity, by a volunteer collective where everybody is a leader? We’re trying to do just that, at the omnicommons.org. We are
- an event space which can host up to 250 in a ballroom and smaller groups in various other rooms – see omnicommons.org/occupy
- a space in which volunteers can make a direct difference to our various Oakland communities – see omnicommons.org/wiki/Welcome_to_the_Omni_Commons for volunteering opportunities
- twelve Bay Area collectives with a shared political vision of more equitable commoning of resources and meeting human needs over private interests or corporate profit:
- Agua Viva is a worker-owned, cooperatively-run cafe that will serve as the convivial entrance to the Omni Commons.
- Art Bison Design Coop is a feminist organization producing radical screenprints and hand-dyed products.
- Bay Area Public School is a free, self-organizing, anti-capitalist school with radical and contestatory politics.
- Chiapas Support Committee supports autonomous health care and education in Zapatista communities.
- Counter Culture Labs is a citizen science and DIYbio space that is open sourcing biology.
- Food Not Bombs has been bringing free food to parks, political events, neighborhood gatherings, and social centers since 1991.
- Global Women’s Strike – Omni Collective is an international network working toward the return of military spending to the community starting with women, the main caregivers everywhere.
- Liberated Lens is a radical film & video collective dedicated to social change.
- Phat Beets is a food justice group building farmers markets and gardens in North Oakland.
- Sudo Room is a place to build, learn, reclaim technology for the people, and create alternatives to the tech industry
- Timeless, Infinite Light is an Oakland small press focused on contemporary poetry and critical theory.
- Youth Empowerment Services provides support for immigrant families in the form of language classes, youth music programs, and homework assistance.